A little zenity-gui for flashing images to the neo

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 9 03:22:45 CEST 2008

Minh Ha Duong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to this mail:
>   http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2008-September/001726.html
> the boot image is flasheable too, and the next upgrade will upgrade it.
> Does this look like something that zenity-gui could do ?

Yes, it is. I'll update the script sometime soon and re-post it.
> I can't find a  zenity  page on the wiki, do you want me to start one ?

I don't really think this is appropriate - zenity is the tool which
allows me to use gtk dialog boxes from within a shell script, it doesn't
really have anything to do with openmoko or the FreeRunner. More info at
[1].

if you're talking about adding this script to the wiki, then yes, it
should be in the wiki, but it would more properly belong in [2]

The reason I haven't wikified it yet is that I'm not finished playing
with it. here are my plans:
- making use of the 'which' command to locate dfu-util as suggested by
david samblas
- checking that it's being run as root
- add support for flashing 'splash'

slightly longer-term:
- use dialog instead of zenity (all text output for more consistent
look, faster, more flexible)
- use a settings file to save the location of dfu-util
- I've also written a script to backup the freerunner using this method
[3]. I'm planning on integrating these two scripts into a nice
menu-driven "uberscript" for both backup and flashing

[1] http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man1/zenity.1.php
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_Neo_FreeRunner
[3]
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Pre-Flash_Backup#Backing-up_flash_images_.28alternative.29