Glad to see Gentoo-openmoko distro

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 01:22:39 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Andreas Zuber wrote:
> Am Dienstag 09 September 2008 18:45:09 schrieb Previdi Roberto:
> > Yes you can use gentoo with binary packages, but you loose the great
> > configurability given by the tuning of the USE flags... i think it's
> > better if i can manage to crosscompile from my desktop, and then copy the
> > generated binary on the moko. slower, but more flexible..

No loss of USE - see the Gentoo Embedded Handbook, in particular this page:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/index.xml?part=1&chap=5

> It may also be an option to configure DistCC for crosscompilation on your
> desktop. If you remove localhost from the list, everything will get
> compiled on your desktop and not on the freerunner. The difference is that
> you dont have to copy files and you can still use the USE flags. Hopefully
> :-)
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml

You can do,  but the bottleneck will then be linking which will happen
entirely on the phone. This can also be somewhat memory intensive, a problem
on a memory-constrained device like this.