Motor oil eats through the finish on GTA02

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 11 06:39:39 CEST 2008

I just mucked up the finish on my freerunner's case.  I'm not sure this
is the right place to report it...

I'm writing in since OM might want to use a different type of paint in
the future, or dye the underlying plastic black.  (Nokia played this
trick with my old cell phone's case...)

I was changing my car's motor oil (full synthetic, if that matters...),
and I went to answer my phone.  I wiped my hands off to prevent getting
grease all over the phone, but they were still a bit oily.  Where my
palm touched the hard plastic on the phone, it created white goo, which
I inadvertantly rubbed onto the rubber part of the phone.

The good news is that the white goo (mostly) comes off the rubber, and
that nothing happened to the screen.

However, it left some permanent marks on the case and rubber:

http://hedora.ath.cx/moko/motor-oil.jpg

-Rusty

ps: The two big specks to the left of the mark are sand from my FR's
~1-2 second dip into the ocean.  Sand has been stuck in the seam between
the rubber and the plastic for a week or so, and is slowly working its
way out.

The FR was in a pocket, which probably saved it.  The weakest point
seems to be the crack between the screen and the plastic bezel (goo
oozed out of it for a day or so...), in case anyone's interested.