Mac USB Networking

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Sep 12 11:46:05 CEST 2008

Yes - both are known and on the bug list.

But debugging OSX kernel drivers needs two machines with the same
Darwin version connected through firewire and a lot of spare time
since you have to force the machine to crash, then use gdb from the
other machine to inspect and try to understand wat did go wrong. Then,
reboot the crashed machine nd hope that the Journaled Filesystem and
Time Machine can backup everything. Then try some fix in the sources.
Recompile on the crashed machine. Copy binaries and symbol files to
the inspection machine. Then, try again. Each such session takes
approx. 30 minutes. And, you have to add time to understand the sparse
documentation of IOKit.
So, if you have no interruptions you verify approx. 8 ideas per day.
All of them may be wrong and after a long day you have no progress...

Since the Apple CDC driver also works (but shows the problem that you
have to reconfigure networking after each reboot), I do not have it on
highest priority.

BR,
Nikolaus