MonoMakefile: how to build navit-svn instead of navit-0.0.4 ?

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Sun Sep 14 00:04:17 CEST 2008

Nicola Mfb wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au
> <mailto:rod at whitby.id.au>> wrote:
>     You should report the confusion to the bitbake developers, not to the
>     openmoko community.

> Come on Rod! this was only a gentle way to say i have some doubts about
> the opinion of a such guru as you :)
> Let's try to help Harald instead!

The two things are separate.  Suspected bugs in the documentation for
bitbake should be reported to the bitbake developers.

Help for Harald continues on this list ...

> I finally got bitbake to compile navit_cvs editing
> openembedded/packages/navit/navit_cvs.bb <http://navit_cvs.bb> and
> commenting the line DEFAULT_PREFERENCE = "-1" as it seems a way to block
> a bb recipie ala gentoo package.mask.

Yes, any bitbake recipe that has not had sufficient testing is usually added
with DEFAULT_PREFERENCE = "-1" so that it doesn't break existing builds.

Once it has had sufficient testing, it's fixed CVS revision should be added
to sane-srcrevs.inc or sane-srcdates.inc

> Howewer note that in the file openembedded/conf/distro/include
> preferred-om-2008-versions.inc you have PREFERRED_VERSION_navit ?=
> "0.0.3", this will be ignored if in your git tree there is no navit
> 0.0.3 recipie (as in my case) and cvs version will be automatically
> selected.

Yep, that means that whoever updated the navit recipe version in OE (which
could easily be someone who doesn't use and knows nothing about Openmoko)
didn't modify that file.  That's quite common, since OpenEmbedded supports
hundreds of different devices, of which the Openmoko phones are just one.

> If in your tree there is a 0.0.3 recipie, you cannot put in local.conf
> PREFERRED_VERSION_navit ?= "cvs", as this will be not recognized so
> 0.0.3 will be selected. I do not know if there is a special "string" to
> indicate to use cvs/svn string, for this you should really ask to bb
> developers.

I don't know the answer to that either.

-- Rod