(Some?) 3G support for Linux from Nokia - relevant for future models?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Wed Sep 17 21:45:45 CEST 2008

Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> Bumped into the following:
> http://www.internettablettalk.com/2008/09/17/dr-ari-jaaksi-on-maemo-5/
>
> Relevantly "Nokia is now Gold Sponsor of Linux Foundation, has
> contributed code today for 3G/HSPA cellular (data) connectivity for
> OMAP3 to Linux kernel"
>
> I would interpret this as there being a free driver solution for 3G
> handset suitable chipsets now available, though perhaps I am missing
> some details? Good for 04 (you know, whenever) getting UMTS, one might
> hope?
>
> Personally I'll be loathe to buy Nokia products anyway, they're just way
> too inconsistent with their policies and have no commitment to free
> software whatsoever.

I would beg to differ. Trolltech is now part of Nokia, Qt and Qtopia
certainly are open source and I can tell you for certain, we are
committed to keeping them open source.

Nokia is also a patron of KDE.

Thats more than I can say about other phone manufacturers...

> But, if something good comes out of them, that's,
> well, "good".

Maemo is quite good. That is pure Nokia. Qt and Qtopia are good, that is
now from Nokia...

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company