(Some?) 3G support for Linux from Nokia - relevant for future models?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Thu Sep 18 01:14:56 CEST 2008

Marcus Bauer wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 05:45 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
>> I would beg to differ. Trolltech is now part of Nokia, Qt and Qtopia
>> certainly are open source and I can tell you for certain, we are
>> committed to keeping them open source.
>
> I wonder what your plans are for the phone stack? I doubt that you are
> going FSO? At least to me this is a big horror as is much of the
> Openmoko software development. It is just not clear what the other open
> source players are doing? The single most important piece is the gsmd
> with muxing capabilities and some kind of stable API. Next important
> part is the power management.
>
> Can you publically talk about where you are going?

Qtopia does not use gsmd, but has it's own gsm classes. Qtopia has 95% the needed parts for a
workable phone. It has power management classes, as well. But the stableness and reliability of them
depend on the underlying system to function properly.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company