Idea for Openmoko application: Tide updates

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Sep 19 04:47:19 CEST 2008

Denis Galvão wrote:
> On 18/09/2008, at 01:56, Adam Bogacki wrote:
>> I like the concept and would like to volunteer to test a prototype in
>> New Zealand conditions.
>

> For sure Adam.
>
> Like Michael said, we should start something in the wiki.
>
> I was looking for something similar and found this:
> http://www.sonimtech.com/
>
> This is what Im looking for, at least as a water proof case.
>
> Is this possible to use the actual GTA_02 hardware version to do:
> - Compass ?
> - Altimeter ?
>
> How should be the best way to have this information on the phone?
> Using an external hardware module?

I'm thinking we need to make a generic expandable water proof (or at
least harsh conditions proof) case for the FR.

For rapid prototyping, the very best interface would be USB. Future
applications might tie in at a more intimate level. At least for the
sensors mentioned so far the data rate is slow enough that our USB could
easily handle it.

I'm envisioning something that looks like a Pelican case, one of the
smaller ones, with the guts of a FreeRunner and room for additional
hardware, perhaps an Arduino board, extra sensors, and an extra battery,
but still handheld.

Some Pelican cases have a clear cover.

I've wondered if there exist waterproof button activators that transmit
force via a magnet, like magnetic stirrers or pumps, so that there is no
hole in the case, no gaskets, and no place to leak (assuming the
original case is waterproof in the first place). Anyone know of such a
thing?