help compiling gnu chess game, project with subfolders

Nicolas LAURANCE nlaurance at zindep.com
Fri Sep 19 11:25:56 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm having my first try at compiling programs for the FR.
I've a python background mostly, and I'm not familiar at compiling stuff
beyond the configure make make install routine.

I've been following instructions at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain

and managed to get gnuchess running on the FR. If anyone wants the ipk
file, just let me know. It plays its turns in a few seconds, so largely
playable.

but it only plays on the command line

so I tried another project, xboard (http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html)
in this project files are organized somewhat differently, moreover there
are subdirs like pixmaps, bitmaps, and sounds.

my question is, how can I compile such a project ?

I think this is a generic question, and I'm willing to complete the wiki
once I find a solution.

NiL