Problems with SD boot of FSO, OM 2008.8, add /dev/mmcblk0... to distros?

Erland Lewin erland at lewin.nu
Fri Sep 19 15:53:45 CEST 2008

I got a new SDHC card, and tried installing FSO and OM2008.8 to boot off it.
I had problems, which I believe I tracked down to the fact that there are no
/dev/mmcblk0, /dev/mmcblk0p1, etc devices in the file systems distributed.

U-boot starts the kernel OK, but when the kernel tries to mount the root
filesystem, it fails because the device node /dev/mmcblk0p1 for example
above can't be found. Creating these manually with:

(in the /dev directory of the card)
mknod mmcbkl0 b 179 0
mknod mmcblk0p1 b 179 1
mknod mmcblk0p2 b 179 2
mknod mmcblk0p3 b 179 3

Seems to have fixed the problem.

Note that I booted with the kernel on the same partition as the root file
system.

I would recommend that these device nodes be created in the distributed root
file systems.

/Erland