2008.9 Basic questions

Shawn "prjktdtnt" Thompson mokowatch at projektenterprises.com
Sat Sep 20 13:45:18 CEST 2008

Nishit Dave wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Nishit Dave <stargazer.dave at gmail.com
> <mailto:stargazer.dave at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Fox Mulder <Quakeman1 at gmx.net
>     <mailto:Quakeman1 at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>         When i ordered the phone the reseller said on the website that
>         the phone
>         isn't useable for daily use and is only for enthusiasts. And this
>         information was everywhere in the net even at july when i
>         ordered my
>         phone. So don't say you didn't noticed this when you ordered
>         your phone.
>         Or did you just click-buy without researching anything about
>         the things
>         you want to buy? ;)
>

>     See: http://www.idasystems.net/ and
>     http://www.idasystems.net/freerunner
>
>     They have updated the website, raised the FR's price (because they
>     didn't figure out octroi earlier?) but still no mention of it not
>     being usable for daily use.  In fact, when I bought it, they had a
>     30 day return policy, which I did not invoke, considering I should
>     support the effort and trust Openmoko to deliver.  Now they seem
>     to have removed the return policy.
>

> And by the way, what do Openmoko have to say about the FR?
>
> http://www.openmoko.com/product.html#
>
> The only (implied) warning one could have come across in the early
> days of the launch was the *Community Portal*, which is the wiki,
> saying that this was a developer release of the FR.  So how many phone
> purchase decisions are made on the basis of a *community portal's*
> hint, when the corporate and reseller websites do not point out that
> it is an experimental device at all?

I fail to see the purpose of this argument. With the right level of
enthusiasm, a little configuration and remembering to plug it in when
you're not there to manually suspend it, the phone works as a phone with
2008.8 just fine. I use mine every day and since receiving it have not
turned on my old phone, not even once!

Before I get flamed though I will state I am an avid Linux user. I am
comfortable with command line or GUI, and actually tend to prefer the
CLI. For those who are very new to Linux or are still scared of the
command line might I suggest studying and becoming comfortable with CLI
first for now since, until the software has been stabilized further,
these complains will continue to exist.

-Shawn