GPRS OpenMoko for ATT/Cingular

yochaigal yochaigal at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 20:31:25 CEST 2008

GPRS was working, then I rebooted the freerunner, and it fails to boot.
at around 40%, then shows a black screen with the message:
"removing info for no Bus:vcs2"

but I think that was simply the most recent output of the boot process.

I uploaded it with the newest kernel (testing-om-0920), and it successfully
booted. but now GPRS doesn't work!

I start it with the gui; it says "failed."  then I ran:

tail -n 25 /var/log/messages and got this:

Sep 20 11:08:56 om-gta02 local0.info /usr/sbin/gsm0710muxd[1783]:
gsm0710muxd.c:1410:extract_frames(): Logical channel 1 opened
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_spin_lock_bh
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_spin_unlock_bh
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
mutex_lock_nested
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_read_unlock_bh
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_spin_unlock
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_write_lock_bh
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_read_lock_bh
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
__spin_lock_init
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
__rwlock_init
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_spin_lock
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 user.warn kernel: ppp_generic: Unknown symbol
_write_unlock_bh
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting
ppp_generic (/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.ko): Unknown
symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
Sep 20 11:08:58 om-gta02 daemon.err pppd[1795]: This system lacks kernel
support for PPP.  This could be because the PPP kernel module could not be
loaded, or because PPP was not included in the kernel configuration.  If PPP
was included as a module, try `/sbin/modprobe

I then imaged the Om Milestone 3 kernel (stable) and now it boots but I
receive the same error message.  I think I have to load the gsm0710muxd
kernel module...

I'll try and figure it out.  If only that darn FDOM kernel would work!