2008.9 Basic questions

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 21 03:57:55 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 21:40 -0400, Alex Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Iain B. Findleton wrote:
> > And of course, the buggy software can hurt. Surprisingly, I activated
> > swap on my FR and stability and periodic slowing have improved. Don't
> > know why that should be, but there you are.
> >

> The answer there is to run top while using the phone... you'll see that
> it's running at pretty much at the limits of the 128MB built in.
>
> Adding a swap file, while inefficient, will allow the kernel to swap
> unused pages to "disk" and allow more things to run, or at least lurch...
>
> 128MB is damned small these days... but then my first Linux box had 16MB
> of RAM, a 33Mhz CPU, a 100MB hard drive and a VGA card that could barely
> handle 800x600x 256 colors.

Is there a reccomended or "best" way to run swap on a FR.  swapfile on
the vfat partition (/media/card/), swapfile on an ext2 partition
(/media/mmcblk0p2) or an actual swap partition (is the mounting of
multiple partitions working reliably now? - used to be disastrous :)

Size: 128Mb or 256Mb (the "old" recomendations for Unix was always 2 x
memory because of core dumps)

BillK

Home in Perth!