Case mod feasible?

Andy Selby andyfrommk at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 00:39:24 CEST 2008

> Basically what I want is to add 4 rechargable AAA batteries and plug that
> into usb port.
> That gives me about 1200ma at 4.8v, which should comply with the USB
> specification (5v),

AAA batteries are 1.5 volts, so 4x1.5=6volts, if you find a diode that
has a voltage drop of 1 volt you won't need any voltage regulation
circuitry.

> This should avoid the requirement for sophisticated electronics,

Voltage regulators aren't sophisticated, its just a VR chip and one,
maybe two resistors for calibration.

>Anybody thinks that this is not feasible or not worth doing for some reason?

See my post here on batteries
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-September/029965.html
I got a battery and charger for under £8