[OT] Copying the iPhone, or what not to do in phone UI design

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 12:26:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org
> wrote:

> Am Tuesday 16 September 2008 17:33:23 schrieb Nishit Dave:
> > http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
>
> Fun, but comparing apples and oranges. The iPhone UI design is stellar.
> Yes,
> it has warts, but less than anything else on the market.

I saw the Samsung Instinct touchscreen phone in the US.  Like other phones
here, it has been crippled, but I was dismayed to see the similarities
between its UI and the one in OM 2008.8 / Qtopia.

Noteworthy aspects: It has a usable Shelf, call management features work
instantaneously, it has useful buttons like volume control, call
pickup/dialer, etc., and has a GPS navigation system with voice prompts that
works.  Ah, and a tactile response system - all keypresses - virtual and
real - invoke a tiny vibration.

Overall a pretty good phone, but yes, crippled.