[debian & gps] How to check gps

Christian Weßel wesselch at gmx.net
Wed Sep 24 14:19:36 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 23.09.2008, 22:55 -0600 schrieb -stacy:
> First, lets look at the players in this mess...
>
> gpsd - this is our good old friend from http://gpsd.berlios.de/ "True
>         gpsd" someone called it.
> ogpsd - this is a subsystem of FSO's frameworkd. It replaces gpsd
>          it implements the Gypsy API communicating with applications
>          via dbus
> fso-gpsd - is a compatibility shim to translate Gypsy messages for
>             applications that expect gpsd
> tangogps - a map/gps application
> tangogps-fso - a version of tangogps that has been modified to
>                 understand Gypsy messages
>
> <sarcasm>
> I don't know how you could find this confusing.
> </sarcasm>
>
> That is why I said "something is talking to your GPS", if you have a
> stock FSO then you have ogpsd talking to the gps and tangogps (the FSO
> version) and Zhone are getting their data via Gypsy. You don't need
> gpsd
> or fso-gpsd in this situation.

Thanx for the detail explaination, but I am still a little confused.

After installation of Debian I followed the tangogps guide from OM wiki.
I installed fso-gps and tangogps, both with <apt-get install fso-gps
tangogps> and it doesn't work together. Neither 'location' nor 'tango'.
After a selfmade confusion with my servers iptables I installed also
netutils-ping and dnsutils. Thats all.

So, please give me a hint what to de-install and which combination to
install and how to configured it. Maybe also the startup with zhone gui,
currently I need to start tangogps by xterm.

BTW, I checked my process list and couldn't find any other gpsd except
fso-gpsd:

> debian-gta02:~# ps -ef|grep gps
> root      1524     1  0 11:32 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/fso-gpsd -P /var/run/fso-gpsd.pid
The reboot was several hours before...
--

mfg/br, christian

Flurstraße 14