CAD conversion and editing

Claus Christmann hcc at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 24 20:38:44 CEST 2008

Please see inline and below:

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 10:58:59 am Lothar Behrens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have converted as much as possible from the CAD files into BRLCAD
> files.
>
> Propably I have forgotten to tell Michael Shiloh where the converted
> files are.
> (As of I had eMail contact to him)
>
> Also I am not much familar with the BRL CAD and I also could not compare
> the files to their orginal versions.
>
> Where could I put the tgz file that contains all the others (~ 16 MB) ?

If you want, I can host the files at webspace of mine, next to the IGES and
STEP files. If that sounds like an option, simply email me the files. (Once
Michael Shiloh gets in contact with you the files can then be transfered to
downloads.openmoko.org/CAD as well)

> [...]
>
> Regards,
>
> Lothar
>
> Am 24.09.2008 um 16:09 schrieb Claus Christmann:
> > Please see inline and below...
> >
> > On Wednesday 24 September 2008 08:59:12 am Breakable wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Anybody got any success for editing CAD files for the phone case?
> >> Basically I am trying to get them open in brlcad (which seems to be
> >> the
> >> best free CAD software ever),
> >> without any success yet.
> >> I had some success in VariCad demo (proprietary) where parts of the
> >> design
> >> are imported using STEP format, but it does not seem good enough,
> >> as I see
> >> about 50% of the shapes usually.
> >> IGES on the other hand seems like a total dissaster.
> >
> > The IGES files I created seemed to work in Pro/E and CATIA V5. Can
> > you figure
> > out if the files are corrupted or if it is a non-working import
> > filter in
> > brlcad that does not work?
> > Have you tried opening a single file and not the complete assembly?
> >
> >> The only solution I currently see is buying or pirating the Pro/
> >> ENGINEER to
> >> edit or convert them  to brlcad .g format using the Pro/E to BRLCAD
> >> converter plugin for Pro/ENGINEER from the brlcad suite. Buying or
> >> pirating
> >> for this task is not the option I like.
> >> Anybody that has a  Pro/ENGINEER license can assist with that?
> >> There is a nice description how to do it in
> >> http://brlcad.org/w/images/6/66/Converting_Geometry.pdf
> >> in section 4.9 page 27 of pdf.
> >
> > I have access to a Pro/E licencense and can look into that. However,
> > it won't
> > happen till the weekend...
> >
> >> After this is done properly, maybe the BRLCAD to DXF converter can
> >> be used
> >> improve accessibility of design files for those that have AutoCad.
> >
> > DXF is essentially a 2D format. Since there is no conversion from 3D
> > to 2D
> > that does not lose information, a "usefull" conversion heavily
> > depends on the
> > need of the user of those 2D DXF files.
> >
> > IF the list could agree on a limited number of planes/slices through
> > the 3D
> > model I might be willing to put the time into creating them.
> >
> >> If this issue wont be resolved I don't believe a community effort
> >> to build
> >> on the openness
> >> of the device will ever succeed.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ignas
> >
> > As said above, I will look into this brlcad over the weekend and
> > look into the
> > conversion of the files into the appropriate format. However, I
> > can't promise
> > anything... (BTW, I have never heard of brlcad, but I also hardly use

The files would then be available via
http://controls.ae.gatech.edu/claus/web/openmoko.html