unable to read from Sandisk 8Gb SD

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Wed Sep 24 23:44:48 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> |> That may be, but despite that I need a daily package for kernel I
> |> can point people to.  Actually blocking current stable kernel from
> |> users by not packaging it, which seems to be the case, is
> |> completely backwards.
> |
> | That may be the case, and you defintely should be able to point
> | experienced alpha testers to such isolated packages for testing, but
> | you don't want inexperienced Joe Random User permanently setting
> | their opkg feeds to a such a directory, so you don't really want it
> | as part of the official feeds ... -- Rod
>
> Uh... yes in fact I do want it as part of an official feed.

I expect you want it as part of the unstable feed, not the testing feed.
 I can fully agree with that.  People who use the unstable feed are the
people who know they are testing the integration and distro consistency.

> Someone has taken time to make a stable / testing / and even "unstable"
> branches of stuff, and you think it is right that our stable kernel git
> HEAD is so radioactive it doesn't even belong in "testing" or "unstable"?

No, it definitely belongs in unstable, but never in testing
automatically.  Someone has to make a conscious decision (and commitment
to the community that it should work) to edit sane-srcrevs.inc to make
something new appear in testing.

> This is certainly something we need, the only question is where to put
> it so people who want to update to it can routinely get it.

Unstable feed is the appropriate place for kernel stable branch head.

-- Rod