[2008.X] Flashing the kernel live

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Thu Sep 25 03:38:25 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 19:05:45 Kelvie Wong wrote:
> I was just wondering, is there a way to flash the kernel live (i.e. with
> the software still running)?  Is the boot partition (it's on the NAND Flash
> somewhere) something I can just mount and override a file?  Or do I have to
> use dd?  Or is there some trickery I can do with dfu-util?

opkg upgrade manages this so I'd say you could ... using a tool like mtd or
such, I really don't how, just that it does :)

You obviously still have to reboot.

I read somewhere that there should be the ability in linux down the track to
actually do a 'live update' without a reboot. That'd be interesting and useful
on a slow booting device :)

Sarton