[2008.9] Font scaling for illume keyboard?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Sep 25 05:28:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:18:20 -0700 Charles-Henri Gros <charles-henri.gros
+openmoko at m4x.org> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:28:06 -0700 Charles-Henri Gros <charles-henri.gros
> > +openmoko at m4x.org> babbled:
> >
> >> After my iPhone-bearing friends kept telling me the keyboard was too
> >> small, I decided to create a layout with fewer letters. Each letter
> >> becomes therefore bigger. However, the representation is the same size.
> >> Is there a way to allow the font to scale? Is there documentation for
> >> the .kbd format somewhere? Also, having borders for the keys would be
> >> useful.
> >>
> >> If necessary, I might be able to add that myself, but I'd need at least
> >> pointers to which part of the code handles this.
> >
> > no docs on the .kbd format - but it should be pretty obvious. you delcaret a
> > virtual size (with height) and in that place keys at x,y coords of a
> > particular size (width height) that have letters in them. if u didnt reduce
> > the virtual size - and just removed keys, then you simply are going to see
> > missing keys. you need to shuffle things around or reduce virtual res so
> > things scale up.
>
> I was able to change the layout to my liking, but things like "fuzz" and
> "type" are not quite obvious.

aah ok. i'll add better comments in the default.kbd then :)
type is just what type (numeric, alpha, symbols, etc. etc.) so when illume is
given hints as to what kind of kbd to use - it can pick the right one. fuzz is
just ?"how many virtiaul keyboard units away will it search for nearby keys for
fat-finger typing dictionary lookups". the larger this numebr the more
dictionary matches u'll get - things may get slower, and u'll have to srot
through more possibilities, but changes it found the word u wanted somewhere in
the list if its in a dict is higher. so basically its accuracy. fuzz of 0 will
basically mean "no lookup".

> > the font size itself is defined in the theme - so u'll have to modify that.
> > as for borders - theme as well.
>
> Any pointers for how to do that? Ideally I'd like the font size to
> depend on the layout but it looks like it's not possible. But borders
> would be a good start.

edje_decc FILE.edj (ille.edj for example). look at .edc in the decompile dir
:)

> > of course om doesnt have this code yet (and likely wont for a while as at
> > least in asu (2008) this stuff will break their designs/ideas and as i
> > change more more will change and so either  their designs will ned to adapt
> > to e/illume development or they will need to never update or write a wm
> > etc. of their own:
> >
> > http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-01.ogg
> > http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-02.ogg
> > http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-03.ogg
>
> This looks awesome! I'm looking forward to being able to use that. If
> there's a (reasonably simple) way to get some of this to work with
> 2008.9, I'd love to hear of it.

no idea - i'm building on top of fso. not using 2008.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com