WIFI Connector Application

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Sep 25 18:40:52 CEST 2008

El día Thursday, September 25, 2008 a las 03:50:21PM +0100, Al Johnson escribió:

> On Thursday 25 September 2008, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > El día Thursday, September 25, 2008 a las 03:16:43PM +0100, Arigead
> escribió:
> > > Hello all,
> > >     I'm looking for an application which if it exists great and if it
> > > don't exist I'll maybe try and implement it in C, if what I'm thinking
> > > is even possible. I've not done too much investigating into Wifi as I
> > > believe that it has its issues on the FR.

> > Isn't wpa_supplicant doing exactly this (it does for me on my normal
> > laptop) having /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf as the database for all your
> > known Wifi networks?
>
> It would do if all the debian network scripts are in place. Last time I tried
> (some time ago now) wpa_supplican would connect, but the scripts that are
> supposed to run on connection to sort out IP, DNS etc. were missing.

I think the work that wpa_supplicant daemon does is only to control the
association to the AP and bringing up the interface; then in FreeBSD
a devd (device daemon) lets you describe what to do else, for example
launch a script when IF_UP; in this script you may, based on the MAC of
the AP, do whatever is needed: ifconfig static IP or DHCP or ....

it is similiar to what I have described here for the cdce0 (USB) interface:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Usb_networking#FreeBSD

a logic like that must exist in Debian too, I'm wrong?
and this is not much scripting work, or?

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH