[2008.X] Flashing the kernel live

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 25 20:44:46 CEST 2008

Kelvie Wong wrote:
> I was just wondering, is there a way to flash the kernel live (i.e. with the
> software still running)?  Is the boot partition (it's on the NAND Flash
> somewhere) something I can just mount and override a file?  Or do I have to
> use dd?  Or is there some trickery I can do with dfu-util?

I think that 'nandwrite' might be what you're looking for:

root at om-gta02:~# nandwrite --help
Usage: nandwrite [OPTION] MTD_DEVICE INPUTFILE
Writes to the specified MTD device.

  -a, --autoplace       Use auto oob layout
  -j, --jffs2           force jffs2 oob layout (legacy support)
  -y, --yaffs           force yaffs oob layout (legacy support)
  -f, --forcelegacy     force legacy support on autoplacement enabled
mtd device  -n, --noecc           write without ecc
  -o, --oob             image contains oob data
  -s addr, --start=addr set start address (default is 0)
  -p, --pad             pad to page size
  -b, --blockalign=1|2|4 set multiple of eraseblocks to align to
  -q, --quiet           don't display progress messages
      --help            display this help and exit
      --version         output version information and exit

I wasn't able to get it to do much without a man page though...

HTH,
-Dale