kobodeluxe - how do you quit?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Sep 26 05:15:43 CEST 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:14:57 +0800 "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au> babbled:

> I installed the kobodeluxe game for the kid, but we cant figure out how
> to exit it :(
>
> Even if you go through 5 new lives and get the menu, hitting quit with a
> stylus just takes you back into the game.  Ended up removing the
> battery.
>
> How?

you remove the battery. this is basically a kobodeluxue issue - it provides no
way to quit without a real physical keyboard. as it also asks to be fullscreen
and has no code to request a virtual keyboard - it's basically painted itself
into a corner on the freerunner. it needs a patch to have a "exit the program"
menu/button on the screen. as the buttons on the machine (you only have 2) are
purposed for other things but default - you're out of luck. technically e
supports bindings so you could re-bind the power button to "close" (close an
app) which would make sense, but then you lose power for "instant suspend". it
could also display a menu.. but no menu exists that would cover both powerdown,
suspend and close app - but it could be done. as such code needs to be put
somewhere. in this case it's definitely bad ui design for kobo on such a
platform. yes the wm could do more to work around such things.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com