[OSX] AJZaurusUSB bug fix project

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Mon Sep 29 16:04:05 CEST 2008

Am 29.09.2008 um 08:16 schrieb Christ van Willegen:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <hns at computer.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Please contact me if you operate your Freerunner on Mac OS X and
>> finally want to have a working USB driver.
>
> Nikolaus,
>
> I already contacted you about this issue, so count me in as someone
> who wants to have a working USB driver :-)
>
> One of the ideas I had was to make a log file to log all the function
> calls that are implemented in your source, so that perhaps it would be

There is already a lot of logging being done (go to Console and
system.log),
i.e. mostly all function calls.

> possible to trace down what function crashes when called with certain
> parameters. It would be a nice 'first order' approach, if it works...

Unfortunately, the kernel logs are incompletely written when a kernel
panic crash occurs.

So the only method is to have two Macs connected by Ethernet and do
kernel debugging
(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KEXTConcept/KEXTConceptDebugger/hello_debugger.html
).

I have now a working setup for that and can single-step through the
driver, but
as usual in such situations, I can't reproduce any kernel panics any
more :-)

But a different problem arised (on 10.5.5) - after unplugging and
replugging the FR once,
the USB system isn't initialized properly so there is no re-connect.
Which had worked
before.

And, the AppleCDC driver is also firing to be loaded, although it
should have
been disabled by the driver probing mechanism of OS X.

So I have to run some more intensive network traffic first.

> I haven't put any time into re-building the driver from source yet, so
> I don't know if it is even possible, or if it would slow down the
> driver too much.

I will pack the latest sources tomorrow (don't have time today). It
will include
an improved makefile that autmatically does all the ssh steps between
two
Macs to start the kernel debugging mode.

Nikolaus