Development environment suggestion ?

Olivier Migeot larrycow at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 18:19:04 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us> wrote:

> It currently uses 2.3gb of that partition, while a 7zip archive of the entire VM weighs in at about 1.4gb.

Did you try to "zero-fill" the image before compressing it? Not that
your ratio is anything bad, but it might get better (a lot of the
"used space" on a Linux partition is already filled of
easily-shrinkable text files, for example).

A simple "dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/fillme ; rm /tmp/fillme" usually
does the trick, and I managed to compress some of my images (well,
those were more LAMP appliances than dev workstation, I have to say)
to higher ratios, IIRC.

Good work anyway.

--
Olivier