[2008.9] Wifi very unreliable

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Sep 30 11:42:11 CEST 2008

El día Tuesday, September 30, 2008 a las 11:28:18AM +0200, Xavier Bestel escribió:

> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 11:06 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using the Wifi-method described in
> >
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Wifi#Using_WPA_and_.2Fetc.2Fnetwork.2Finterfaces
> >
> > i.e. having a working config file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> > for all my known access points (which is just a copy of that I'm using
> > daily and stable in my two FreeBSD based laptops); and I'm trying to bring
> > up the eth0 with
> >
> > # ifup eth0
> >
> > this works very unreliable; in (let's say) 8 of 10 cases it can't
> > associate to the AP, even not after fresh re-boots and independently if
> > the AP at my home works with WEP or in my office with WPA;
>
> I found that, for WEP networking, the only working way is to manually
> configure the interface:
> iwconfig eth0 key <yourkeyhere>
> iwconfig eth0 essid <yourssidhere>
> udhcpc eth0

As I said, with WEP at home I have had it working today morning (sometimes) with:

# cat /etc/network/interfaces
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
up route del default gw 192.168.0.200
down route add default gw 192.168.0.200

# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
        ssid="tarara"
        scan_ssid=0
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_tx_keyidx=0
        wep_key0=FFFFFFFFFFFF
}

and then the eth0 just comes up (sometimes) with:

# ifup eth0

and DHCP IP and DNS from my AP;

there are some minor bugs in the two shell scripts
/etc/wpa_supplicant/*.sh which I've had to fix too (sed of busybox does not
know the flag --quiet);

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz