Charging a Neo battery in a Nokia charger or phone (was: Re: dead battery)

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Tue Sep 30 23:11:05 CEST 2008

> The battery usually lays in just like it does in the phone.  The battery
> will fit into the Nokia, but I'd be surprised if the Nokia agreed to charge
> it, since it won't recognize it.

Exactly right. My understanding is this:

Nokia devices (phones and stand-alone chargers) will not charge
non-Nokia batteries, most likely because they can't be sure they have
the correct charging parameters.

Most after-market or no-name brands of Nokia-compatible chargers don't
test the make of the battery, most likely because adding the capability
to perform this test would add to the cost of the charger.

Thus:

* You can use a Nokia or Nokia-compatible BL-4C, BL-5C, or BL-6C in the Neo

* You can charge the Neo battery in a Nokia-compatible charger that is
not Nokia branded

* You can NOT charge the Neo battery in a Nokia branded phone or charger

Michael