help for development in 5 minutes

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Apr 1 12:02:10 CEST 2009

> wget
> http://smartere.dk/openmoko/openmoko-toolchain_0.20080521-ubuntu6_i386.deb
> sudo dpkg -i openmoko-toolchain_0.20080521-ubuntu6_i386.deb
> what I have to write instead of ubuntu6, if I'm working on Debian,

nothing different -- the "ubuntu6" comes frome the package (file) name and
has to be there.
with wget you donwload a file with the name

openmoko-toolchain_0.20080521-ubuntu6_i386.deb

to your current directory.
with dpkg -i you install that very same file -- thus the "ubuntu6" has to
be there because it is part of the filename.

> and is not necessary to work as root user??

for installing packages you need to be root. either via login or su or
sudo.

reading your posts i've got the impression you are not very familiar with
your linux/debian box -- it would probably be more sensible to get
aquainted with your debian before trying anything more complex.