Openmoko for blind users?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Apr 1 14:28:18 CEST 2009

Crane, Matthew wrote:
> Seems to me OM would be a good platform to quickly implement something
> like this on a working phone.
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20127015.700-vibrating-touch-scree
> n-puts-braille-at-the-fingertips.html

There quite a few ways to help the blind using this phone:

* Some aren't completely blind, and can be helped with an
   enormous font. Up to one character covering the display,
   if need be.

* USB have some options. One can connect a keyboard or a smaller
   numerical keyboard. Of course these can have braille keys.

* It is also possible to connect a braille output device
   "braille screen?". Such devices works well with the
   command-line interface. We already have a command-line
   app for sending SMS. Adding command-line apps for making calls and
   reading SMS isn't hard either.

* speech synthesizers can read sms (and other stuff) over the speaker.
   Free ones exists, for quite a few languages.

Being open, it isn't that hard to install alternative software. There
are already linux software for the blind.

Helge Hafting