date and GPS related questions

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Wed Apr 1 19:04:27 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 18:15 +0200, Daniel Willmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:59:20 +0900
> William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > No, otimed sucks for a number of reasons (not the least being hard
> > coded to an NTP server somewhere in Europe) so control like you are
> > after is critical.
>
> just wanted to follow up on this.
> From the sample frameworkd.conf file:
> #
> # Subsystem configuration for otimed
> #
> [otimed]
> # a list of time/zone sources to use or NONE
> timesources = GPS,NTP
> zonesources = GSM
>
> It would be nice to change that at runtime, patches welcome. :-)

For counties that have more than one timezone make sure
that /etc/localtime is COPIED from /usr/share/zoneinfo
and  /etc/timezone is properly set as well.

In /etc/frameworkd.conf change zonesources to

zonesources = NONE

> > In Perth Australia, vodafone appears to have my location set to Lord
> > Howe Island - some 3000+ km away in the pacific - I am near the Indian
> > Ocean.  As well, I suspect they are not sending local time, but time
> > as it is in the eastern states (2hr diff).  Is there a way to get the
> > gsm to print the data as to what it thinks it is? - some command in
> > mickeyterm? - be nice to confirm and know what its actually doing as I
> > certainly cant trust the FR to get it right.
>
> Framework debugging should tell you.
>
> > The freerunner by design seems unable to keep accurate time unless you
> > are in Europe ...
>
> Well, timekeeping is independent from that. The UTC time will stay
> right no matter what timezone you're in.

The timezone packets for multi timezone countries aren't processed
properly yet.

Angus