Sean's speech at ESC about making a 3G device

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Apr 3 02:10:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:35:58 +0100 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> said:

> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 06:13:36PM +0100, Justyn Butler wrote:
> > >
> > > You've just convinced me that, unless this changes, no OpenMoko with 3G
> > > will get my money as far as I'm concerned :)
> >
> > Why the outrage?
>
> I bought the OpenMoko to get a more Free Software phone, not one that
> gets less and less Free as new devices come up :)
>
> I seriously hope GTA3 fixes some of the most serious problems GTA2 had
> regarding that.

3g can be done - just like the 2g on feeerunner - you will talk to a closed
blob via a defined protocol. just like any chip anywhere. no less free than
gta02 in that way. BUT yes - you'll pay an extra $200.

nb gta03 - you missed the news from sean's talk at openexpo in switzerland.
gta03 is "postponed" (read cancelled - postponed is just a nice way to say it
and try and keep the community hanging around in hope it un-cancels, as
openmoko has laid off most of their staff (also news from openexpo), their
linux staff. you don't un-postpone if you just let all the people go who work
on the software).

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com