Using 3G USB dongle [Re: Sean's speech at ESC about making a 3G device]

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Fri Apr 3 07:44:27 CEST 2009

Arigead <captain.deadly at gmail.com> writes:
> If you could get a hold of the plastic spacer could you then take a 3.5G
> USB Dongle and put that into the space? I think that 3.5G USB Dongles

I have been using E169 dongle quite a lot with freerunner. Since I did
some udev setup [1] the hassle is minimal: I just plug the dongle to
freerunner, click menu to set usb host mode and it'll automatically
connect to network.

If there's some way to automatically detect a usb device then I could
have freerunner automatically switch to host mode and avoid the need
to click anything to and have complete "plug and play" experience.

[1]

$ head neo/2009-04-03/etc/udev/rules.d/E169.rules
ACTION!="add", GOTO="E169_rules_end"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", GOTO="E169_rules_real"
BUS!="usb", GOTO="E169_rules_end"

LABEL="E169_rules_real"

SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1001", RUN="/usr/bin/pon E169"

LABEL="E169_rules_end"