Sean's speech at ESC about making a 3G device

Arigead captain.deadly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:36:53 CEST 2009

Steve Mosher wrote:
> Since I worked on the presentation with Sean for the days he was here in
> SF, let me give you my view and sean's view. That way we won't get into
> some version of the telephone game.
>
> Sean discussed three things at OpenExpo.
>
> 1. Our successes.
> 2. Our mistakes.
> 3. Our challenges
>
> I won't go over 1& 2 but I'll cover #3 since rasters perception has
> a bit of color added to it. Only a tiny bit and he's entitled
> to that color commentary, I'll just add what Sean and I, as authors
> of the presentation, had as our message.
>
> Our biggest challenge was to make a choice about how to spend the
> balance of 2009.
>
> There were two paths:
> A: Fulfill our promises on FreeRunner and launch GTA03
> B: Fulfill our promises on FreeRunner and  launch project B.
>
> We will talk more about project B in the coming months, but these
> salient facts should be able to guide any budding executives out there.
>
> 1. GTA03 was in constant flux as a design.
> 2. GTA03 schedule was consequently always slipping.
> 3. The resources required for GTA03 are 3X those required for Project B.
> 4. We don't have 3X.
>
> So, we picked plan B.
>
> Now comes the question, what about GTA03? how do we get there? And when?
> and what is it?
>
> Well my basic argument was and is this:
>
> First we attend to the issues that still remain with the GTA02. That's
> why the VP of marketing ( of all people) is working on the buzz fix
> problem. Second we complete project B. When we've done that, then we
> get to eat dessert. Essentially, I made the same argument I heard so
> many times on this list: "How do expect us to buy a GTA03 when you've
> yet to deliver on all the promise of FreeRunner?" And I took the
> arguments I heard from disty seriously, "how do you expect us to buy FR,
> when GTA03 is right around the corner?" And I accepted the arguments I
> heard from Engineers I respect who questioned the viability of the GTA03
> in the market place. All of those arguments said "put a bullet in its
> brain pan!"
>
>   So, what about GTA03? As it was defined, it is dead. So how do we
> get to a new GTA03? Two requirements: continue to improve GTA02; deliver
> on project B. What is GTA03 and when do we get there? There are a number
> of independent efforts out there that are pitching me ideas for GTA03.
> I talked to sean a bit about this and I'd like to try to open up more
> of the design process and the marketing process to the community.
> Perhaps on a separate list. Some of these discussions have already started.
>
> What can you do to help?
> 1. Move GTA02 code upstream.
> 2. Stay Involved.
> 3. Continue work on applications
> 4. Buy a FreeRunner.
> 5. Get involved in GTA03 discussions
>
> Best,
>
> Steve
>

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for the clarification Steve, Carsten had be worried there for a
moment. Can I say that I'm using the FR as my Daily Phone and I'm as
happy as a pig in shit that when I find the time I can write new apps
and improve existing apps. I think most of the people on these lists
appreciates the philosophy of Open Source. I for one would love for Open
Moko to make that philosophy successful in the Hardware arena.
Regardless of what you produce as Plan B, even if it's a hair
straightener, I'll buy one. ;-)

Best of luck and keep us informed.