Slashdotted

Fernando Martins fernando at cmartins.nl
Sun Apr 5 19:06:27 CEST 2009

David Reyes Samblas Martinez wrote:
> only add that replies are quite unfair to a any free project whatever
> it succeed or not.
>
> 2009/4/5 David Reyes Samblas Martinez <david at tuxbrain.com>:
>
>> Yes very sad wrong titular "No More OpenMoko Phone " and very
>> discorageus comentaries :(

Listen, it's just one of those slashdot posts based on half-truths.
Lamenting it does not help. Just address the truths in there and take
the best out of it. Even bad publicity can be good. Make it play in your
favor. This slashdot article could be a good opportunity to:

1) identify plain truths, plain falsities, half-truths/lies. Distinguish
between technical (FR) and organisational issues (OM/community). This
can be done by the community using a wiki page.

2) Acknowledge the negative organisational facts (I guess already done
by OM). Fix it by:

a) providing reassurance by building on the achievements and positive
facts;

b) providing an action plan dealing with organisational AND marketing
aspects;

c) ask the community for feedback on the plan (being done?) and even ask
for help with organisational and market aspects (the open project
doesn't have to stop at the software aspects).

3) Provide a plan to address the technical aspects involving the
community (being done?). Typically everyone wants to work on their own
itches, but maybe there is room for a bit more coordination, e.g. by
using cofundos to focus on specific areas that could help OM deliver the
promises of an open and implicitly working phone.

Fernando