Slashdotted

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Mon Apr 6 00:02:15 CEST 2009

Dr. N

  We are thinking down similar paths. See my other other posts.

  I will check out the satilite site. My sense is, without even looking,
  that a fair number of people working on the project probably had some
aerospace background and were well schooled in the process of
requirements driven product design. I dont want to clog up community
with this talk so I'm trying to get a new list set up.

Steve

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> [...]
> funding for the organization.
>
> A word to all those who think Hardware can not be developed by a
> community should take a look at:
>
>     http://www.amsat.org/
>
> Building, launching and operating not only 1 but approx. 50 satellites
> in the past 30 years is definitively more complex than building an open
> smartphone.
>
> Nikolaus
>

> Am 05.04.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Lothar Behrens:

>>> [...]
>>> Hi Lothar,
>>> nope this won't fly. It's basically the sw pov approach to hw
>>> development
>>> Steve mentioned in one of his current posts.
>>
>> I may read his post...
>>

>>> Developing hw is more than creating a good looking schematics in
>>> Eagle, and
>>> tasks like layout are partially done by autorouter and the other
>>> half is a
>>> *close* *interactive* process between the layout gal, the EE guys,
>>> the RF
>>> guys, the ME dept, sourcing dept etc etc.
>>
>> It is indeed difficult. But otoh are many hw projects
>> (http://opencores.org/
>>  or http://opencollector.org/ for sample),
>> or at least hw related.
>>

>>> IIRC OM had some really nasty experience when outsourcing some
>>> layout task.
>>> Just because the layout didn't understand exactly what EE had in
>>> mind when
>>> creating the schem, and EE didn't closely check the work of layouters.
>>>

>> I don't speak about outsourcing. I have made similar experiences with
>> outsourcing:
>>
>> An EE project (motor control) should be outsourced, but the schematics
>> were sent by faximile!
>> The result was about writing an application to compare the netlists to
>> compare the then distinct
>> projects (different wire names and the like).
>>
>> So don't split any EE project or work with different versions without
>> a CVS or SVN!
>>
>> But giving development boards or mobile phone development kits would
>> be an option to
>> broaden the idea behind open mobile phone. Say, a GSM kit could be
>> used for the carPC hobby
>> engineer. And there are really GSM modules sold by other companies.
>> (http://www.gsm-modem.de/
>> )
>>
>> Then you have the control about your pcb design, but propably broaden
>> your product palette.
>>
>> Not all developers need a complete telephone. But you could indeed get
>> more value if the
>> 'components' of a mobile device also spread the globe - as a
>> development kit or separately.
>>
>>> for your Q about project files instead of pdf: OM is making money by
>>> selling
>>> hw, so there's not much sense in publishing data that doesn't help
>>> EE guys in
>>> community to understand the hw but instead is only needed for
>>> purposes. In the end you can't do anything on a single-device basis