Tichy now hosted on google code + release 1.0.0

Guillaume Chereau charlie137 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 21:13:38 CEST 2009

Hello all,

(Some of you may know me from my previous openmoko address :
charlie at openmoko.org)

Since I don't work for openmoko anymore, and since I had some free
time in my hands recently, I restarted the tichy project (previously
hosted on openmoko public git)
The project is now hosted on google code [0]. From the web site we can
see some screenshots.

For the history, tichy is the project that was used as the base for
the paroli project [1], officially supported by openmoko.  Both
projects are python frameworks to write applets for openmoko phones. I
decide to restart tichy because in my opinion paroli has forked too
much, and now both projects are having very different goals.

So why I think people should give tichy a try :

* It can run on debian, SHR, and FSO (even thouhg there is currently a
problem with the installation on FSO)
* it is using the Dbus framework for all the phone applets.
* It is very simple to modify it, almost everything is written in
python, with some small parts in cython.
* It can run on the desktop as well.
* There is a release (1.0.0) [2]

The first release 1.0.0 [2] contains the source package, a debian
packages, and an ipkg package that can be installed on SHR (should
also work on FSO, but I see that python-pygame package is currently
missing from the FSO feeds.)

I will keep working on the project if I think there are interested
people. I don't know how much time I will allocate to this, so I can
make no statement about plans or future releases. Of course
contributions are welcomes.
I have to admit I didn't test it so much (I personally only use it for
the chinese learning and dictionary applets), if people experience any
problems, please let me know and I'll make a bug fix release.

I would also be interested to know if the SHR, debian, or FSO people
are interested for a collaboration to add tichy in there
distributions.

Happy programming,
Guillaume

[0] http://code.google.com/p/tichy