Slashdotted

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Tue Apr 7 01:36:36 CEST 2009

Gerald A wrote:
> Hi all,
> I originally wrote Lothar in private, and asked for his permission to repost
> to the list. There have been a few replies in the meantime, but there were
> some good points here.
>
> Now, I'm not a hardware guy, so take my input with a grain of salt, but I
> have been watching the project for a while, and as a software person I hope
> we can make it work.
>
> Lothar -- new comments are inline.
>
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Lothar Behrens <lothar.behrens at lollisoft.de
>> wrote:
>

>>> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Lothar Behrens <
>>> lothar.behrens at lollisoft.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok I cannot buy expensive equipment to test hardware that I may have
>>> developed, but I virtually could
>>> develop hardware. But many developers at one subject could spend money for
>>> a rent to let one of the
>>> team do outstanding tests.
>>>
>>> Isn't it possible to also develop hardware collaboratively?
>>

>> I have to say -- at this point, I don't think so. It's not that the concept
>>> is impossible, or as you mention above, that testing can't be done. But
>>> based on what OM and FIC before them have reported, it would be very hard.
>>>
>> Yes, it would be hard, but FIC and OM have made a great job. We have a
>> fully functioning phone, but we couldn't easy create our own prototypes to
>> play with. Good ideas are published as the robotics project. If having a
>> really open schematics and even the board design. one could change the
>> formfactor and add his/her needed stuff to play with. If you have to worry
>> about how to enter a completely new schematics from the PDF, the fence is
>> higher to think about jumping over and just DO it.
>

> Steve has commented a bit about this, as far as a packaging and final
> production are concerned. There might be a possibility to build "modular
> kits" so different hardware (and software) combos could be tried out, but
> translating that into a widget that can be sold as a phone is also a
> consideration. We could put together an awesome phone as a kit that is about
> the size of a CD drive, but then find out that some parts we used aren't
> available in quantities or timelines that make sense to produce a phone. The
> concept is awesome, but I'm not sure it can feed into a real product -- but
> it's something to think about.

  Werner and I are discussing various possibilities. I rule nothing out.

>> Principally, this is due to a moving target. Since everything is obsolete
>>> in a few months, the shelf life of products in the embedded space is very
>>> small. The next big hurdle is in getting specs. OM/FIC were producing
>>> thousands of devices and possibly more, so had better quantities then a
>>> hobby group might muster -- and still had poor access to hardware specs,
>>> when they got them. Now, of course, some of their decisions might have been
>>> practical too (we can get >1000 more closed pieces from company X, while we
>>> can only get ~100 more open pieces from company Y), we don't know.
>>>
>> Yes, the technique is moving forward fast - for the real phone, not for a
>> GSM module for sample :-)
>>
>> Today I have searched for a GSM module and indeed found one with a complete
>> ARM based Linux stack. It would be much too expensive, but when having only
>> the next planned GSM module that will appear in the phone, one could test it
>> on a standard pc. Or even participate in GSM related development only.
>

> I love the idea of being able to mock up hardware, as it lets the software
> move forward too. But if our test platform can't be translated into a
> suitable form factor, it might be a waste.
YUP. Just to review the GTA03. At one stage the WIFI and GPS had to be
removed because it didnt fit in the case. If "thin" is in, then using
a module is out, for the most part. How thin is thin? Typical marketing
answer would be "thinner than the iPhone" but obviously some fat phones ship

>> I had an idea about my car radio. The idea came because I use my Neo to
>> transmit music over bluetooth, then over a FM transmitter to the radio. This
>> is bad quality.
>> There are really much entusiasts building their own carPC in double DIN
>> factor or similar - even small PC barebones. Why not equip it with a GSM
>> module to become a real handsfree carPC + phone. They will benefit from such
>> a module and propably participate in development.
  On of our early partners, in fact, was designing such a carPC and
wanted to use FR as a dev platform. Alas they demanded a different
processor ( Intel) so that deal didnt go through.

>> Open the development by also selling parts of a phone for the hobby
>> electronics would increase the audience and the feedback.
>> I don't know how this component has to be deliverded, but I think it must
>> be compilant to some law.
>

> The current phone stuff already passes those laws. Would it be possible to
> adapt them, on the electronic side? I have no doubt. Steve or someone on the
> OM side might be able to speak to the regulations issue.
  You change the RFs ( antenna/circuits etc) and you have to recert.
  I'll have to take a closer look. I know this, I could not sell the
  STREAKER ( a freerunner with no case) without a recertification.
  Antenna and case are a system.