Slashdotted

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Tue Apr 7 20:14:18 CEST 2009

Fernando Martins wrote:
> Steve Mosher wrote:
>> And you are right the community can help:
>>  1. get code upstream. That decreases our cost to maintain.
>>  2. Stay involved or get involved, either by coding, testing, or
>>     spreading the word.
>>  you get the idea.
> My biggest itch was the frustration of getting a phone which, at that
> time, was not yet, say, a smooth phone, and still today has some rough
> edges, depending on distribution of course. I think this common
> experience is now acknowledged as what is hurting more the FR (leading
> to the slashdot post, but I'm also sure it can succeed and your recent
> posts are very convincing to me)
>
> Although I'm a programmer (C, Python), right now I can only spare a few
> hours a week which makes it difficult for me to be effective. Any
> suggestion how to best put my small resources at use? How much
> investment would it be needed to work on phone specific functions? I
> know this is the bazaar, but I miss a bit the cathedral to be more
> focused and effective. A todo list, who's doing what, change logs,...
> What's the status of FSO?? Maybe I have to explore better but there is a
> lot of info how there, spread all over, and too often not up to date.
> Working on documentation is also fine for me, but what is the most
> needed to choose from?
  What I would do is get in contact with the folks working on a specific
distribution ( SHR for example) or specific piece of infrastructure
Paroli, tichey,FSO, kernel and ask them these questions. The lack of a
"todo" list and the lack of focused development has also been a
frustration for me. It means development happens like an untended garden
grows. But look what grew that we never imagined.