Accelerometer wiki page erroneous axes ?

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 14:32:41 CEST 2009

Michael Tansella <michael-tansella at gmx.de> writes:
>> So, the fact that when idle the accelerometers report a positive Z value
>> implies that the Z axe is actually upward.
>>
>> Agree ?
>
> Yes I think that's right. If you hold the Freerunner that any arrow of an axis
> points to the earth middlepoint then the sown value must be
> negative.

I beg to disagree. If you are talking about acceleration of the sensor
itself then you'll see that: 1. it's not actually accelerating if you
attach a reference frame to the Earth (the freerunner is laying
still). 2. The gravitational force applied to the sensor is directed
to the center of the Earth, so the reported "acceleration" should be
positive too.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com