Upadated - Intone (0.22) Elementary based mplayer frontend

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 04:04:01 CEST 2009

Hi,

Very slick.  Nice work c_c.

Thanks! Glad you liked it. Let me know what you didn't like too.

I have mp3 files driving mplayer to about 10%, while ogg files come in about 45% of cpu.

mplayer builds are generally compiled to use libvorbis which is a floating point implementation. Its easy enough to compile tremor - which is an integer library (provides libidecvorbis IIRC) and is a drop in replacement. I have tried tremor and here's the CPU usage

ogg 44100 2 channel enc208
    mplayer                   tremor
47.6% - 52.7%         18.5% - 20%

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to patch mplayer build to use tremor since I don't really know how the entire bitbake process works. BTW, mplayer has a built-in option to use tremor in its ./configure file.

If someone could point me in a direction that tells me how to go about changing the library being used for the build - or do it him/her self - that'll just be great and should bring down CPU usage to more acceptable levels.

*** Also, I'm thinking of forking intone to handle videos as well. Mostly same code - but with a gui optimised for videos (I'm thinking Landscape mode). But apparently I'll need another version of mplayer-glamo. Things would get simpler if the standard mplayer ipk could come with the glamo patches and linked to tremor.

Any Ideas?