date and GPS related questions

Daniel Willmann daniel at totalueberwachung.de
Thu Apr 9 12:14:22 CEST 2009

Hello,
pushing this over to smartphones-standards to raise awareness.

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 07:24:21 +0800
William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 18:15 +0200, Daniel Willmann wrote:
> > Hi,

> > Well, timekeeping is independent from that. The UTC time will stay
> > right no matter what timezone you're in.
>
> Unfortunately it doesnt - wanders all over the place, usually lagging.
> If I notice it, I usually find otimed.py has overwritten my changes to
> the ntp reference (a local timeserver helps a lot - but its still not
> great).  Depending on where I am connected to, it may or may not see
> the site in Germany, which may or may not be extremely slow/lagged.
> If it gets too far out, you have to manually set it.  It looks like
> it often just "refuses" to work.  Nothing in the logs.  I also
> noticed yesterday it says "checking every 600 seconds" - then it went
> off and started checking just over every 60 seconds.

Okay, this still seems to be a problem with time and not timezone in
that case.
Jan, do you have anything planned for otimed? I would really like to
see the NTP server configurable (with persist) as well as which
time(zone) sources are enabled.

Regards,
Daniel Willmann