[QT Moko] MP3 support

Ali alishams at interchange.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 12 09:32:16 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 08:51 +0200, Radek Polak wrote:

> My idea is to compile with libmad and before making the image remove the
> libmad.so from the image. Then when user wants to play first mp3 he
> would be asked to download it from internet.
>
> Is this legally ok?
>
> Radek

That's a good question, after all if the user can't use the mp3s, where
is the issue? http://www.softwarefreedom.org/ may be able to help out.
They offer legal advice (presumably free) to those involved in FOSS and
even have an IRC channel on freenode. It would be interesting to know
exactly what the mp3 patents cover. The other option is hosting a fork
in a country that doesn't recognize patents or just doesn't care about
the usa. Anyone have a server in Iran or Venezuela? I think India
doesn't recognize software patents either and that country is fairly
wired.