Intone - the future and help needed

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 13:57:55 CEST 2009

Hi,
  Thanks for the detailed reply. I kind of pretty much agree with most of what you've written.

If Intone crashes or is killed however, the auto-suspending option will remain off, even if that wasn't intended.

  Actually, it does release the suspend bit if the app crashes. You prevent suspend and your request is valid till the app runs. On exit the request is released automatically - or at least that's what I've understood. I might be wrong though.

The player should be there to play songs, not fool around on the Internet : ).

 I subscribe to the unix idea of 'one tool for one thing' too. But its easy to want to do everything too! So, I'll make this downloading album art from the internet a script - that should be easier to maintain too. Same for lyrics I guess. Only, while the lyrics thing is relatively easy to to (with lyrics wiki for eg) I'm kind of stuck on how to go about doing the album art thingy.

Actually I hate when apps start fooling around with my input controls.

Ha! But I do like the idea of having some control without taking the player out of my pocket. Maybe using the button on the headphones is a better idea? What do you think?

My opinion is that it should be a different app alltogether.

I agree. Though eventually this app too will play audio files. But again, it will be easier to maintain as a separate app. However, since I'm not a regular user of podcasts - I'll like to hear some more opinions on this one.

.....someone can optimize video playing enough to make it really feasable on the Freerunner.

 I haven't tried playing videos because it seems like a painful thing to do. So - a GUI will definitely help pushing for a better player / method. Since Intone is essentially a mplayer frontend - I think it shouldn't be too difficult to modify it to start playing videos. I'll do this as soon as I can sort out the few remaining bugs in Intone.

I think the first priority should be bug fixing and integrating to the framework via DBus.

I agree. I could do with a little help too. :-D

What I wouldn't mind would be compiling the artists, albums and songs using corresponding tags on both mp3-s and ogg-s instead of just directory structure.

That's been on my mind too - but I wasn't sure of all the libraries I would need to cater for reading tags from all the different types of files out there. I can commence with mp3's (using id3lib). Can anyone point out other libraries with this functionality for ogg's and m4a's which are also in the repositories?

No more ideas for now. I'll try to investigate that database bug and recreate it. I'll let you know if I manage to find out how it happens or if I have any other ideas.

Thanks for expressing your views. That db bug is another mysterious one and I hope it gets resolved soon.