Slashdotted

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Sun Apr 12 16:03:12 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 07:34:04PM +0200, arne anka wrote:
> >> phone development means gta03 -- and that indeed stopped.
> >
> > it wrong, surely a lot of other people will get it wrong too. No, phone
> > development doesn't mean GTA03. Openmoko can release a device which is
> > not a successor to the GTA02.
>
> i never said, it has to be a successor to gta02.
> the only other phone in the pipeline had the name gta03 and its
> development has stopped. period.

   The misrepresentation - which you seem to think is not a
misrepresentation - in the news coverage is that they're saying development
of open phones at OM has been cancelled, while all that's been decided is to
cancel the GTA03, not development of more open phones.

> >> gta02 does not see any development, just support and fixes.
> >
> > Perhaps you could clarify what  you
> > think counts as development to an already released product (GTA02).
> one or more of the following
>
> - newer/better hardware
> - improved functionality (f ex wrt standby time, power consumption)
> - different device

   Dieter Spaar is working on the deep sleep mode of the Calypso. If he
suceeds, it will improve standby time and power consumption.

https://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/2009-March/001086.html
https://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/2009-April/001106.html

> i am sure, we can spend days on end with attempts to find a definition of
> development that everybody agrees to, but what purpose would it serve?

   No, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly before I claim
you are wrong.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen