Arora web browser (Qt issue?)

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:19:41 CEST 2009

2009/4/13 George Brooke <solar.george at googlemail.com>:
> I can recreate this with arora 0.4 on my desktop by running it in Xephyr at
> 320x240 and it results in the following error (on the console I ran it from)
> QWidget::setMinimumSize: (/QMessageBox) Negative sizes (-160,334) are not
> possible
> Do you get something similar if you run arora from a console window?

Yes! I reported the problem on the QT issue tracker (but I did not
received the confirmation email).
I suppose the problem is that when qt is compiled for X11, some api
(QMessageBox::*) subtract exactly "480" from the desidered x size of
the dialog to be show. So using an x resolution < 480 you'll get the
negative warning, using 480 will stall the application, while using >
480 will work. This "subtraction" is not performed when the Q_WS_MACRO
is defined (qt compiled in embedded mode), but I think we cannot
tampering with it as said on some mailing lists.

This problems affects other api too, such
QMessageBox::information/warning/critical/fatal that are widely used
in existing qt applications but not with a DPI << 285 (the default for
freerunner), so it's very annoying.

Using 640x480 in xephyr fix the issue, but it persists on the
freerunner even rotating the screen with xrandr, so it may reveal a
problem for X with glamo, (or at least on my setup, as TS events are
not rotated too and I did not dig about this yet).
May you try on your device?

       Nicola