[shr] Headset detect?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Apr 14 14:20:26 CEST 2009

Paul Fertser wrote:
> Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no> writes:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Almost sounds as if you do not push the headset connector in far enough.
>> I think there is something wrong with the FR headset socket.
>> I have tried several headsets as well as several converter plugs for
>> those headsets that have the bigger plugs.
>>
>> If I push the plug all the way in, I get sound in one channel only. Pull
>> it a litle out, and I get nice stereo. Pull it some more out, and I get
>> a very weak stereo. (Possibly missing the ground connection, so the two
>> channels connect in series?) Pull further out, and weird things happens,
>> sound in left only or right only, or perhaps the main speaker wakes
>> up.
>
> Looks like you're trying to use incompatible 3-ring
> adapter/headphones. Obviously that won't work.
>
> The right pinout of FR's receptable is:
> tip: MIC
> RIGHT
> LEFT
> GND
>
> If you fully push a regular 3-ring jack in the socket, you'll have MIC
> input connected to your left headphone, RIGHT output to the right
> headphone and you'll short LEFT to GND by the base of your
> jack. Obviously if you pull it a little, you'll have your left
> headphone connected to the RIGHT output, your right headphone to the
> LEFT, and a proper ground connection.
>
> Use only properly wired 4-ring jack!

Thanks.
Do such converters exist at all though? I have been to quite a few phone
shops, showing them the 3.5mm 3-ring headset connector, as well as the
2.5mm 4-ring earplug. (The latter works, but the headset has better bass
and is more pleasant to wear.)

No phone shop seems to have such a connector. Of course, these people
doesn't actually seem to know that 2.5mm and 3.5mm plugs are
standardized sizes, they keep asking what brand of phone it is. :-(

Helge Hafting