sunlight readable LCD

Rafael Campos methril at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 14:56:25 CEST 2009

Hello list,

I like the propossed mods, and i think that most of the changes are possible.
But how to get this mods done? I proposse a simple approach.
Changing the LCD is difficult, because you need to change the case in
order to fit LCD into the phone.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Gaël HERMET <mailing at superzell.fr> wrote:
> Marcus Bauer a écrit :
>> Hello list,
>>
>> Joseph Reeves wrote on his blog about a bicycle app for the Neo [1].
>>
>> I have always wanted to add cycling / sports functions to tangoGPS but
>> as the LCD is mostly unreadable in sunlight I felt there is little use.
>> After trying it a couple of times on my bike I soon started to leave
>> the Neo at home.
>>
>> So I wonder about three things for better outdoor use:
>>
>> 1) How many of you would be interested in the following hardware
>> mods:
>>  * sunlight readable LCD
>>  * bigger LCD 3,5"+
> Maybe 3.5" is a little bit to big, but I think 3.2" can be realy
> interesting.
> Sunlight readable LCD is realy interesting in a lot of case.
>>  * new ruggedized case or rubber shell (including a mean to nicely fix
>> in on a bike?)
>>  * waterproof (substaintially more costs)
>>
>> 2) How much money would you spend on it? To give you an idea: the PSP
>> display with touchscreen can be bought on ebay for ~25$. A case may be
>> ~20-30$ for volumes of 100+.
> I am interested in a bigger sunlight readable borderless screen and I am
> ready to give 100€ (and some beers :D) for that but I don't know if this
> price is possible.
The fist prototypes are going to be more expenssive, sure.

>> 3) Last question: are there hardware people interested in
>> this?
I'm a HW/SW one interested on :)

>> Please reply here on list with your interest!
>>
>> Marcus

AS i see, The water proof part has a big objection: The touch screen.
You need some glass/plastic that protects the LCD & the touch.