Why enlightenment?

Joseph Jon Booker joe at neoturbine.net
Thu Apr 16 00:59:21 CEST 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:57:57 +0200
Bram Neijt <bneijt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this question must have come up once before, but I couldn't
> find any real answer online, so I'm posting it here. Why
> enlightenment?
>
> I haven't seen enlightenment being used for over 4 years, and with the
> wealth of programs out there which are portable and can run on top op
> Linux, this choice really astounds me. I'm only writing this now,
> because I see that the next Om release (2009) is going to keep
> focusing on using it.

For awhile Openmoko had hired Enlightenment's lead developer
(Rasterman), so that probably explains their predisposition to using
it. E17 also has the advantage of being both slick (in terms of
resources) and looking damn good. This has nothing to do with the GUI
used by the apps, any more then using fluxbox on a desktop would affect
my ability to run gnome or kde applications.

> As I see it, all embedded devices running some kind of interface use
> either QT or GTK (QT Phone, Nokia Internet tablet, Sharp Zaurus..) and
> there are various applications and standards available.
>
> Why then go for enlightenment?
>
> Hoping this is not to inflammatory,
>   Bram

What do you mean by standards in "there are various applications and
standards available" ? As a full-blown window manager, enlightenment
will do everything any other full-featured window manager can do (well,
except have releases that aren't just snapshots).

Also, remember that Qt Phone and the Nokia tablets use their own gui
libraries too (Qtextended and hildon respectively), that applications
have to be ported to in order to look native. I'm not familiar with
Sharp Zaurus-based distros, but don't they normally use gpe software,
which is in most openmoko distro's repos?

--
Joseph Booker