[Debian] on Freerunner feed back

Thomas Bellembois thomas.bellembois at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 11:20:59 CEST 2009

Hello Freerunners,

I have been using a Freerunner under Debian for one month. It is not yet
fully usable, but I am still working on it.

1.GSM
Zhone works not too bad. I have applied the patch to use a VCARD file
but the "dial" button does not work anymore (it works with contacts on
the SIM card).
I have tried scripts to import a VCF file into the SIM card without
success. I am not yet very aware of the dbus system to write my own
Python script.
I have some "bugs" with SMS - the phone does not ring when I receive a
message and the messages are always written as unread (until I reboot
the phone).

2.PIM
I have tried:
-osmo: not recurrent events, no alarm (only for tasks)
-pimlico: not recurrent events, no alarm but uses Evolution's back-end
-GPE apps: fully functional apps but require gpesyncd for
synchronisation - not available in the debian repositories

2.PIM SYNC
-osmo: not tried
-GPE apps: not tried - see below
-pimlico method 1:
  *contacts: imported successfully from a VCF file
  *tasks: not tried yet
  *dates: merged the ICAL files from Evolution and dates successfully
(using a custom Python script)
-pimlico method 2:
  *successfully synchronised Evolution's contacts tasks and calendar
with a Scheduleworld account using syncevolution (repository: deb
http://www.estamos.de/download/apt stable main). I could not manage to
sync the Freerunner due to a missing dependency with
syncevolution-evolution (problem with the repository?).

3.GPS
TangoGPS works well. I have not tried Navit yet.

4.WIFI
Does not work yet (wifi-radar - wicd) - I think I have a dependency
problem...

5.ACCELEROMETER
Works well - I have tried it with the mokomaze game (apt-get install it)

6.AUTOROTATE SCREEN
Simple rotate freezes my freerunner with XGLAMO.

What I would like to do:
-find a usable configuration to use a PIM suite (synchronized with my
desktop PC) to replace my Palm TE2.
-configure the WIFI
-install Navit and buy reiseplaner maps
-make the autorotate work
-make Zhone fully usable

I would like to know I somebody could have a fully functional freerunner
under debian ? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Thomas