gpsd, agps etc..

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Sat Apr 18 00:05:21 CEST 2009

Hi!

I'm running the 2008.12 on my Freerunner

I have agps http://www.opkg.org/package_127.html installed.
I went on-line, downloaded the agps data first turning gpsd and the power on:

/etc/init.d/gpsd start
echo 1 >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/neo1973-pm-gps/neo1973-pm-gps.0/pwron
/usr/bin/agps-onlinec .............

This works fine and it downloads me the data for around 13 satellites
(tangogps shows this). Going outside and I get the fix in some
seconds.

OK, nothing new there.

So I bike to this shop, suspend the phone, spend a while there and
come out and wake the phone up. I waited a while, the GPS didn't seem
to react, it told me it knows where ~13 satellites are but sees none.

I have also gpsdcontrol (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Gpsdcontrol )
installed. I started it and the amount of known satellites changed
from ~13 to 5 and some seconds later I got a fix.
As far as I understand it only restarted gpsd.

So the question is: do all apps work independently with the GPS data,
there is no one place where the current signal/satellites is
stored/something? And then they feed it to.. what? Or was tangogps or
gpsd just stuck with the not-updating information that started to
update again when I restarted gpsd?

It'd be great if some bits of this could be improved to actually be
able to save the location when suspending/turning gpsd off etc to be
able to get a faster fix.